Sunday, July 21, 2013

Ten Things I've Learned Being a Teacher

After three years of teaching... I'm sure I could list a 1,000 things I've learned from being a teacher, but today I will stick to just ten! :)  Thank you Miss. Kindergarten for hosting this linky! :)

 One:  It doesn't matter how prepared I think I am, I never fully prepared for the crazy madness & exhaustion of the first week of school.  Maybe it will change this year.... or maybe not!

Two: Once you become a mother, the way view your kids & how you treat them will forever change.  At least it has for me!  I have always loved my kiddos, but they are even more special once you have your own!

Three: That moment when you look at the floor of your classroom and it is like you're in a nightmare because it looks as though the rainbow has thrown up on your floor.... Well that is when Treasure Trash becomes my best friend!  Treasure trash is where I pick one piece of secret trash, lay down the laws of not pushing, shoving, running, or fighting over trash & release the kids to pick up all the little teensy weensy pieces of trash on the floor..... Let me just say that floor gets clean FAST!  Plus, I always wait until I'm happy with the way the floor looks to tell them to stop and reveal the piece that I've deemed as treasure!  The winner always gets a little something special! :)

Four: Some of my best lessons come from when I'm most least prepared.  Shhh... Don't tell my admin that... but seriously, those teachable moments & best lessons are always unplanned!  They usually make my day, too! :) 

Five:  There will be some days that the only thing that gets me through is a sweet hug from one of my kids or a LONG talk after school with some of my teaching besties!  :)  I'm so thankful to have such a wonderful team!!

Six: My schedule at the beginning of the year will change at least 3 times before the end of the year.  Our specials & lunch time change every year, so it's always hit and miss till I make it work with our schedule!

Seven: My kids eat erasers.  I'm serious.  That or the eraser fairy raids my room EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I put out new pencils!  Finding a pencil with an eraser in my class is like finding that piece of treasure trash!  Thank goodness for those large pink erasers!!!

Eight: Even though I may only have one biological child, I really have 20-something kids that become mine each year!! .... and if I'm being really honest, a handful or two a year stay mine!! ;)  It is amazing the imprints these kids leave on my heart! 

Nine:  I will be called mom at least once a day.  Usually by different kids each time.  Some may  not take that as a compliment, but I do!  I spent more time during the day with them than their own mother, so to be someone they mistake for their mother, is a compliment in my book! :)

Ten:  On days that I feel like I'm going to go insane, I turn on my instrumental christian praise & worship songs & sing my heart away....in my head!  It soothes & relaxes both the kids & I... plus I have yet to have a group that doesn't like it! :)

&& I have to share one more, because seriously, what Friday does not feel like this?!?





Until, tomorrow....

5 comments:

  1. I loved your top 10. The picture for leaving on Friday is too funny!! I can't wait to read more post, thanks for sharing. If you get a chance I would love for you to come and check out my top 10.

    Jamie
    teachingtidbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through Curious Firstie's giveaway! I am your newest follower :)

    Rae
    Mindful Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelli, can you share with me how you add "surviving the little people" on top of each picture? Is it an quick and easy process? Thanks!

    Mrs. Jones Teaches :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do it two different ways..... Sometimes I use an app on my phone A Beautiful Mess.... or I just open up powerpoint, drag in the picture, and add a text box!!! It's really simple! :) I hope that helps!!

      Delete