Monday, October 29, 2012

Ahoy Matey!

So today was the much anticipated PIRATE DAY!! :)  

I love how baffled the kids are as they arrive in the morning, wondering why all of the 2nd grade teachers are dressed like pirates!  I usually do math after our morning work, but today with all of the excitement, I had to move up my phonics lesson so my super curious kids could find out what it was all about.   So I introduced the Pirates "AR" that say "AAAARGH!"  We came up with a ship full of "ar" words and then the students created a ship of their own and added MORE "ar" words to their ship.  As the week continues, we will talk about more pirates the rebellous pirates "er," "ir," and "ur"... they say "ERR" and then there is the confused pirate "or" that says, "ORRR?!?"  After we discuss each group of pirates we will continue to add more words to both our class and individual ships. I have my wonderful co-worker, Gwen, next door to thank for the idea of having the kids make their individual ships! I will have to take a picture of the completed project after the week is over.   The ship we did today looks similar to this one, only our ship today was the "ar" ship so it is FULL of "ar" words!

With all of my excitement about today, I created a couple of supplemental items for this lesson, well pirate themed, not so much phonics related, yet.  Click on the pictures below to go to my TPT shop to get them for FREE! :)
My kids are in love with the few trivia items that we did today, they were shocked with several of the facts!  I had them work as a team to come up with an answer.  Their team captain wrote it on the board to share their answer.  It was definitely a hit!  I'm excited to finish the rest of them throughout the week.
I can always use something new and refreshing in my centers, or well my kids can.  I can't wait for the kids see the new addition to their centers box tomorrow!  Can you tell we are all about pirates! :)






With all of the pirate madness, I couldn't resist but to make a pirate incentive map to stretch out my pirate theme this week.   Throughout the day, my kids earned coins.  They earned coins for being on the ball, actively participating, following simple directions (seriously, we are in week 10 and some still have major difficulty with this, AAARGH!).  Each time they earned coins, they got to put their coins in the table bucket.  They never questioned what they were for, they were just beyond excited to have a bucket of coins!  At the end of the day some of the kiddos began to notice our "treasure map" located on the wall.  We had a little pirate trivia and then a tie breaker to find the team with the winning number of coins.  The winning team got to pick the card to flip over, on the other side of the question mark was the picture and all of the incentive cards.  The group that won today earned the "read with anyone you want" card.  I love how excited they get over these simple rewards! :)  I can't wait to see how improved their behavior is tomorrow.  Why can't every week be pirate week?!?!  
Without any cards flipped!
The pirate ship in the bottom left flipped over.


 
What it will look like on Friday after all of the cards have been flipped! 







Tomorrow and Wednesday, we will be finishing up our Halloweeniers! Click here to see a post and a little more info on it.  I can't wait to see the product of some of my creative students.  Below is the example that I made to give the kids a visual of what I expect. 



Isn't Oscarina cute, dressed all the way down to her feet.  The kids L.O.V.E.D. her!  Click on the picture to go to my TPT store to buy it, it's on sale through tomorrow evening.  It includes a suggested lesson plan for writing and art, brainstorming pieces for the writing and a template for the Oscar or Oscarina! :)  Gotta love when we can incorporate multiple standards into one activity!

I also plan to make adjective witch skirts and putting witches brew on REPEAT!  We listened to it twice last week and it is already stuck in my kids heads.  As we came in from recess today they were yelling/singing it at the top of their lungs!  Probably another one of my favorite lessons.... I'm starting to think everything is my favorite lesson...But seriously, Pirate week is my FAVORITE, FAVORITE lesson.... :)

It is hard to believe that this was a year ago.... :(
 Tonight, B and I carved her first pumpkin.  She was not quite sure what to think about it, once she got warmed up to the pumpkin, she thought she needed to eat it! Needless to say, we had fun, it is the biggest joy watching my little pumpkin grow up and explore new things! 

Happy Howloween week! :) 

Kelli :)

No comments:

Post a Comment