So let me get started.....
1. I am the oldest of eight kids, yes eight. My family is blended, so out of the other seven only one is considered my full blooded sibling. However, I would be lost without all of them, they are all my "real" siblings!
2. In high school, my senior year I was the mascot. GO TIGERS!
3. My favorite Disney movie is Cinderella, I still find myself wanting to watch ocassionally.
4. Even though my little one is old enough to pull ornaments off the tree to play with, I braved it and have put glass ornaments on the tree this year!
5. I have believed ever since I was a child that I would be a teacher, but when I first entered college I had the crazy idea that I might should be a nurse. Needless to say, that idea lasted less than two years before I came to the realization that I could NEVER be a nurse!
6. I love my MAC and would truly be lost without it.
7. Creating fun things to do in my classroom, using my mac, is a serious stress reliever for me. I get so lost in what I'm doing that I completely forget about all the stressors!
8. I'm not a neat freak, but I hate messes and am somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to things that I do.
9. I love washing laundry, seriously I do. It's the folding and putting it away part that I loathe.
10. I would much rather be cold than hot. I love wearing sweatshirts and layering on the covers!
11. Christmas time is my favorite time of year, I love giving gifts, hearing the music, seeing the beautiful decorations and lights, but most of all I love my mantle being full of different nativity scenes. I seriously was thinking that maybe I need to keep those out year around because I love seeing them so much!
My favorite grade is second and am currently teaching it. Actually to be honest it's the only grade I've taught other than when I taught first in student teaching. I couldn't imagine a better grade level to teach though, I love it!
SHARPIES! I'm absolutely obsessed with sharpies and makers in general. Oh and twistable crayons, I love those, too!
I would have to say that my favorite subject is writing, this is a recent development. After several workshops with Melissa Leach over the summer, I have fallen in love with teaching writing! I love seeing the kids grow and watching the lightbulb flicker when they have ideas they want to share!
Honestly, I'm in Texas and we don't have to follow Common Core so...... I just follow my TEKS. :)
Forgive me, I don't really have any recent pictures of just the classroom. This was taken just before meet the teacher this year!
I would say Christmas Eve and Morning. We always go to church on Christmas Eve and then spend the night together before we head to bed and the elves get to work. ;) Christmas morning, we always have our sausage balls and cinnamon rolls and then watch my younger siblings empty stockings and open presents. I love the excitement and joy of this, not to mention that I am with my amazing family!
My school has a couple different clubs, we have chess club and just created a science olympiad club. In addition to those, we also have what we call "Enrichment Groups" where ALL of the students PRE-K through 5th get to go to an interest group (crafts, basketball, archery, board games, photography, etc.) once a week on Friday mornings. When you think about it, it's a really awesome opportunity for our kiddos, although it can be mad chaos at times!
My biggest inspiration was my co-worker, Gwen. She has her own blog about her family, life, classroom, etc. She encouraged me to share my story and journey with others!
More than I should, I usually try to limit myself to no more than $50 a month... This includes art supplies, books, fun stuff, decorations............
Nominations-As I was going through blogs, it seemed as though every blog I cam upon had well over 200 followers OR they have already been nominated for this award. So here are a few that I follow that I have nominated. :)
Simply Skilled in Second
Teaching with Moxie
The Learning Effect
Special Hearts, Special Smarts
Learning with Mrs. Leeby
1. As a teacher, what is your most embarrassing moment?
2. On your days off, especially those 3 day weekends, what is your favorite things to do?
3. What was your favorite show as a child?
4. How long have you been teaching and what grades have you taught?
5. Who was your inspiration to become a teacher?
6. What is your all time favorite book to read aloud to your kids?
7. What do you like most about the school you teach at?
8. What or who was your biggest inspiration to start your blog?
9. Do you use social media in your classroom? If so what do you use?
10. If you hit the lottery, what would you do? Would you still teach?
11. How do you celebrate the holidays?
I am excited for these next two weeks, only because I'm ready for them to be over! ;) 9.5 school days... This week will be jammed pack getting the last few things taught and assessed. The last week will be all kinds of fun and art to do with different cultures and how they celebrate their holidays! My next post will include some examples of the AWESOME poetry that my students have written over the past two weeks. Seriously, talk about one impressed teacher!! Makes me want to teach poetry everyday! The kids loved it just as much as I did.
I will leave you with a picture of our elf... He arrived on Monday specially packaged. The kids were beyond thrilled when their special package arrived. Jingles, that's the name the students came up with, was well behaved most of the week until Friday... He stole my Peppermint M&M's and apparently decided to share with all of the other stuffed animals in the room, too! Mischievous little guy!