Saturday, July 27, 2013

Sunday Smorgasbord

Oh me, oh my. What a hectic week!!  I'm linking up with Michelle over at Fabulous in First again today!

My week started off with an amazing PD session, we made interactive math notebooks!! They kept us BUSY cutting, gluing, taping, cutting, laminating, stapling, and creating ... ALL DAY!!!

I can't wait to share some of the amazingness of this with you all....but I have decided that it will be a slow sharing process.  I'm going to share it as I create mine with my class & then attach what I can as freebies to all of you! 

I was able to get into my classroom this week, too!!  I feel like I was able to get a lot accomplished.... however, I still have SO. MUCH. MORE. to do!! 

 

Please excuse the messiness of those cubbies!!! Remember I have to COMPLETELY pack up everything in my room, so I store in every nook & cranny!   I was able to get both of my back wall bulletin boards covered & ready to go!! I generally leave the bulletin boards empty until we make anchor charts to fill them up with!!! I did however add the alphabet for my word wall!!
Fun Fact: You can get twin flat sheets at Wal-Mart for $4 that work great for bulletin boards!! 
We have massive back wall bulletin boards as you can see & the flat sheet side ways fits it PERFECTLY!!! I mean when you think about the cost of fabric by the yard... You save TONS!!!


If you've never used hand signals, you're missing out!!  Last year I made signs for hand signals & refusing to look back on the idea!!  They worked amazing & because I decided to change things around a bit, I created new ones this year!! You can grab them FREE as a Facebook Fan for a limited time!! :)

One of my baby brothers played in the Super Series World Series this week... which means we watched A LOT of baseball!!!! They did great & even were able to play one of their final games at the Dell Diamond!! 


I also created & uploaded .... probably OVER a week ago..... one of my newest units, Snapshots Through the Year!  It is probably one of the things I am most excited about doing with my kids this year!!  I just now seem to be getting around to sharing about it!!

The idea behind this unit was to have a place for students, teacher, and parents to be able to see where they started the year and ended the year.  Students can see their progress with writing, handwriting, and their artistic abilities over the course of the year by using this.  While I have no intention of grading this, I think it is going to end up being a great little memory book for students & their parents!!
There are covers for Kinder through 5th and each grade has 5 different types of covers.  There is one with just the shape of a childs body, no hair.  Then there are two girl and two boy versions.  You can get as specific or as generic as you want with these.  The kids will end up designing the faces and coloring the hair to make it look like their self.

There are monthly pages with a special back to school and summer version.  With each month there is a polaroid style frame for students to share something special that month, these things range from their favorite new piece of school supplies to their best friend.  Each month is different & requires different things for students to write about and share.

I've also included a snapshot page for students to fill out about their teacher.  Like the covers there are 5 versions, however the snapshots are different than the kids! :)

And to add a little fun & a few pages they can fill out throughout the year or at the end of the year, I added a few more pages about important people around school, field trips, field day, favorite memories, and autographs.

You can get this unit in my TPT store by clicking here, it is on Sale until Wednesday! 

I hope this wasn't too scrambled up for you!! ;)  Happy Sunday!








16 comments:

  1. Love your snapshots unit...how cute & what a great idea! I'm so super jealous of your grey chevron border on the bulletin boards.. I'm been on the waiting list at our local school supply store for almost a month..and still no border :( We start school in a little over a week, and I want that border! ha! :)

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Kelly... I ordered mine literally BEFORE school got out DIRECTLY FROM CTP! I wasn't sure when my local teacher stores would get it in stock & was NOT willing to wait!! The only price difference was that I had to pay for shipping, but seriously, it was wayy worth it!! Here is the website in case you want to order it!! :) http://www.creativeteaching.com/categories/699/creative-teaching-press-chevron-designer-decor

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I totally understand those carloads of stuff. How fun for you brother. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read, Michelle! :)

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to see your math notebooks. Math is one of my weaker subject areas. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always LOVED math & teaching it... & math notebooks was already on my list of what to do better this year, so I can't wait to share what all I learned!! :)

      Delete
  4. The math notebooks look great as does what you've showed of your room!

    Check out my blog if you get the chance!
    Colleen Patton
    Mrs. Patton’s Patch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Colleen! It's all a work in progress!! ;)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful post! Sheets on the wall sounds so much easier than paper! I'll have to try it. Your snapshot ideas looks great and your carload looks like mine.$$$$$$$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm telling you it is easier than paper & cheaper than fabric by the yard!! Flat sheets are my new BFF! :)

      Delete
  6. Haha, I have half a carload waiting to go to my room this week...and it's only half a carload because I've already taken out MORE than a carload...and I still have too much shopping to do! Your snapshots pack looks amazing!

    Becca
    Kindergarten A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becca!! I always tell myself I'm going to save money over the summer, especially since I don't have to pay childcare... But I'm pretty sure every bit of my childcare money ends up in my classroom!! We teachers, have serious problems!! haha

      Delete
  7. I love the cubbies in your room. I'm always so fascinated to see what other people's rooms look like & what kind of storage space they have, whether it's built in or they created it. I especially love the built-in storage. I always wonder what are the people thinking when they design a school & either create or don't create storage space.

    Stephanie
    PolkaDotPalace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, I am also fascinated & dumbfounded at times when I see rooms & wonder what the designers were thinking!! It looks like I have a ton of built in storage... but truth be told, I really don't! Those cubbies take up an entire wall & due to the lack of storage in my room, my kids share cubbies because I use the other half for storage!! I'm always envious of teachers who have entire walls full of cabinets floor to ceiling and then some!! I guess beggers can't be choosers!

      Delete
  8. I am so excited to be using chevron in my class this year and excited to find another teacher with similar ideas! I am just joining the blogging world and am so excited I found your blog!

    Kelsey
    craftymrskissell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete